Monday, June 30, 2008

... and then we mourn


Wow, how do you say good-by to two super guys? Guys that you have flown with, joked with, camped with and saved lives with, you keep flying.

Sunday the worst happened two of our local medivac helicopters collided mid air, killing six and critically injuring one. The helicopter business is so small that you know practically everyone, especially those around you, and every time one is lost it is a personal loss. These pilots and flight crews are like a family they all made time to stop in the E.D. after Mikes accident, the word had gotten out and they rushed over to offer support, donate blood and just to keep an eye on "Binky" cause after all the E.D. is very understaffed.

They have given up their vacation time, holidays, and family time just to make sure that someone else lived, they have flown in weather that most sane people refuse to drive in to make sure a critical child received the medical help they needed, treated the drunk driver even after they had witnessed the carnage they left behind, and spent countless hours volunteering just because helicopters are just so cool.

So today every one went back to work fighting the fires, picking up and transporting the sick and broken, with shoulders a little lower, laughter a little bit quieter, and remember when stories a whole lot more frequent, and Tom Caldwell and Tom Clausing your buddies will miss you but you will never be forgotten. Fly safe.

6 comments:

Amy B. said...

so sorry to hear about that. I saw it on the news and we wondered if you might have known them. I am thankful for the them and the families that risk thier lives to help others. So sorry. love ya Amy
call me

Natilie said...

I was wondering if this hit pretty close to your home. I am sorry for your loss and I am grateful for people like them who risk their lives for others.

Mag Family said...

I am sorry for your loss. I truly know how you feel. We too had a tragedy this week, but ours was not a lost life, just wounded. I am grateful for all those men who put their lives on the line to save others.

The Brooks Family said...

Sorry this happened. We're thinking about you and your helicopter family. Also feeling thankful they're out there risking their lives for mine.

Mady said...

hey dusty,
if you want to change your background just tell me i wasn't sure if you wanted to keep it for all july or just for the fourth. call me
Luv mady

The Fannen's said...

I thought about you when I heard it on the news. I am so sorry for your loss. It does hit very close. Hats off to those men and women who risk their lives every day for others, especially those we love!