Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Angel with attitude

Last night I made my yearly appearance at enrichment.

I signed up to bring soup and even picked up neighbor-friend Debbi so that we both had to go.
Turned out it was pretty good, Great meal, super good info on MONEY and some really good visiting.

On the way home though I quickly remembered why I seldom venture out after dark, as we were driving down Highway 64 a car traveling south quickly flashed its lights at us a few times.
Here in the middle of nowhere that does not mean cops, Oh no, that only means one thing Elk in the road. Sure enough 2 more miles and flashing hazard lights later we saw the thankfully completely dead cow in the middle of the north bound lane.

After muttering "oh shit" a few times I put on my hazard lights pulled safely to the shoulder and went to talk to the people standing on the side of the highway in the pitch black, and no kidding they were French tourists standing there with their cell phones taking pictures, and the killer thing, they didn't even know what of.

Soon finding out that they had not hit it I left them to Debbi and fast hauled my fat ass down to the car that had(I would rather face the unknown elk eliminator and possible damage than the tourists) and after all Debbi is much nicer than me!! Turned out he was okay and miraculously had clipped her with the drivers side and only had minor damage, and he had called D.P.S. already.

So back to the tourists, as they had not seen the hit or been involved we suggested that they continue on their way to see the Canyon and warned them that they should drive a little slower and also watch for more elk; after shooting looks of fear and confusion at us they thankfully left.

What to do, what to do, I had promised the poor guy that hit her that I would not leave until the cops got there, but I did have Debbi with me, four kids under 5, and 6 more at home waiting for us, so a few quick calls home sent those 6 to bed and Kallison and Caden worried in the back seat whispering little prayers.

I backed the fly boat farther down the embankment and turned my high beams on the body so that no other cars would hit her and sat, soon after that a really nice guy stopped to help and enquired why we did not move her to the shoulder, strangely I had already thought of that and felt that we should not get out of the damned car so I told him that I really didn't think we should, and so strangely enough he agreed with me and drove a little way down the road did a quick u-turn and put his high beams on her also.

Now the really weird or the really spiritual part you pick. No sooner had he put his lights on her than a royal a!@ came speeding down the highway and hit the dead elk with both drivers side tires and went angled airborne just like in the movies. And never stopped or even hit his breaks. The body of the poor elk was flipped into the air and now was in the south bound lane, and Debbi and I both in the car screaming Holy Sh#t at the top of our lungs.

Finally Officer Friendly showed, got the now messy elk out of the way thanked us and sent us home, probably wondering why we had not moved the elk out of the road ourselves, well this morning I discovered why, in the dark both Debbi and I thought we were closer to the shell station(the only lights out in our neck of the woods) and assumed we were on open flat ground
but in all actuality we were on the inside curve and up hill and would never have been seen by the before mentioned royal a!@ before he hit us and the other good Samaritan! So I have spent the rest of the morning in wonder over the message that we should not get out of the damn car and have decided that the Holy Ghost talks just like me how interesting.

So what do you all do after Enrichment?

3 comments:

Amy B. said...

ok we do have some wild turkeys between here and the church building. I have never hit them
but we usually just drive the 1/4 mile back to our home. Way to go
great spiritual experience

Natilie said...

All I can say is Wow!

The Brooks Family said...

Ah! Cutest background ever!! Where did you find this gem!?