Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Thank you, Grandma

Dear Grandma Simper,

Yesterday I made rolls, last week I made rolls and a few weeks ago I made rolls and cinnamon rolls three days in a row. Yes we, they love them that much. I do not double the recipe I quadruple it. We use them for sandwiches, snacks, and soup dresser uppers.

I recently discovered that my wonderful children are using them as currency at school, their teachers love them and now I will be making them for the schools Thanksgiving feast. So 60 students and 12 teachers, aids, and me and the little ones will be celebrating turkey day with a little bit of you.

Did you know that you were right, if you make them when you are stressed, mad or just a little upset. Your dough kneads out very smooth and your rolls are very light. Why though did you always put your raisins in the dough instead of sprinkling them in with the cinnamon and sugar?

I will be truthful though I very seldom add those pesky raisins(and when I do I use very pretty golden ones) more than likely our cinnamon rolls have chocolate chips in, or sometimes toffee chips or bits of caramel for that added stickiness I mean sweetness. And lots of cream cheese icing.

Every summer the South Rim Helibase hosts H.T.A. (helitack training academy). They have crews of three or four firefighters, e.m.t.s, and rangers from around the country that that transfer in and out every two weeks. And most of them or the really goods ones anyway are treated to your cinnamon rolls after completion of Mikes lecture I mean lesson on how not to get killed by your helicopter. Trust me they all strive to be the really good ones.

During the winter when the crew has a busy week or just a stressful one i.e. body recoveries, they request them just to snack on with there coffee, or cocoa, and for me that brings back a little of the elk hunt memories of my childhood. Which in my weird stressful life I need. Those memories often times keep my other family memories from splintering, like my family.

So now I am off to finish Halloween costumes, pack for our little trip, and wipe little runny noses, so please know that a few recipies are safe and still used.(never shared I need a few selfish memories).

3 comments:

Natilie said...

My sentiments exactly. Try putting brown sugar in them - it is delicious.

brinkworth bunch said...

always do, I use the dark brown.

Mag Family said...

I feel the same way.